January 27, 2010

Measuring up.

I feel like rambling about teachers today. I know I'm on the first few weeks of class and my opinion might change, but first impressions have a lot of weight. I know it's not very interesting but I was talking about it with a classmate earlier and I just feel like writing about it.

I have a bit of everything this semester. I have the typical PhD student who reads off the power point, but unlike teachers I've had in the past, he actually adds valuable information and doesn't just read and go along forever. He explains what he has to explain and then adds stuff and examples from real life that help a lot in explaining what he's saying. I like his style because he's presenting the information very clearly.

I have another teacher that does not use visual aids at all. I mean he stands there for an hour and twenty five minutes rambling on. Not only that, but he takes off on these long, boring explanations that make you forget the point he was trying to make in the first place. I've seriously have had trouble keeping up with anything he says because he just never reaches a conclusion, he just seems to ramble on and on and just not get to the freaking point and it's very frustrating.

One of the other teachers has started "teaching" on the third class. The first two classes were a total waste of time, with him talking about random stuff that didn't really have anything to do with the introduction he's supposed to be giving, and he goes on tangents about whatever pops into his head and doesn't really talk about what he needs to talk about. It bugs me because he just jumps over the important stuff which means I'm gonna have to learn the stuff by myself and that just makes me feel like I'm wasting my time during his class and then wasting even more time trying to understand what he should be explaining to me.

And my last teacher I think is my favorite, only female professor this semester. She also uses the power points but she uses them very well. She's had a lot of experience and gives a lot of examples and applications of the principles she's explaining. She's also very dynamic and manages to not bore me to death even though the class is at a seriously weird hour. She's funny and even though the first few chapters have been very basic, she has managed to keep it interesting and she's also very helpful on pointing out where and how you can run into this in the business world.

No comments: