February 17, 2010

Temporomandibular joint disorder

So I had been in enough pain over the last few weeks that I finally agreed to go to the dentist to get my jaw checked. My mom and dad have been trying to get me to go ever since I came back from my summer holiday in Venezuela when the pain first started.

My dad got me the appointment for today and he was supposed to take me and my mom, but then he got caught up on something and I ended up driving but my mom and I got lost and we barely made it on time. So I went in and the dental assistant asked me all the typical questions about when the pain started, when it hurts the most, does it hurt when I do this or that, etc. She asked me to open and close my mouth a couple of times and that hurt a little, she said she could feel my jaw popping and clicking which didn't sound good to me at all!

So she called the doctor and he asked me a bunch of other questions and then he started to examine me. He made me open my mouth (ouch), and saw inside first and all, and then he had me open and made pressure with his fingers so I'd open wider (quadruple ouch) and then he had me open and close my mouth a bunch of times (ouch again) so he could feel my jaw popping as well, and finally pressed with his fingers on every single area that I had told him hurt, (FUCKITY OUCH, WTF?!)

He figured out I have Temporomandibular joint disorder. You can go there to see what it's about but it's pretty much a problem with the joint in my jaw. All the muscles around it are super sore and sensitive and that's why it hurts so bad. I have almost every single symptom listen in there, man, it sucks!

So they took an impression of my teeth (the top teeth are awful! You seriously feel like you're gonna throw up and the whole sensation is absolutely horrible), and they're gonna give me a mouth guard to wear at night to see if that helps. He said he wants to do this before he decides to give me muscle relaxants, and even that doesn't work, he knows another doctor who he can send me to if I don't improve at all.

It was good to know what I had, but the rest of the day sucked ass. I cried my eyes out as I left just because the pain in my jaw was so bad after that exam. My jaw and my head throbbed the entire day and not even pain killers helped all that much. I seriously felt miserable the entire day and I just wanted to come home and cuddle under the covers but I had a quiz (in which I don't think I did all that well to be honest, just because my mind was somewhere else). Also, I seriously regret not having skipped my second class because I was miserable and it was a serious waste of time.

It still hurts right now, had to eat something soft for dinner but I took a pain killer a bit ago, and I'm hoping that will help me and that I feel better tomorrow. I need at least one good day this week. Please?

1 comment:

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.